The Pakistan Association of Urological surgeons was created in 1997 although the first chair of urology was established in 1962 at the Mayo Hospital Lahore. There are several reasons for the slow start. Urology was considered as an unwanted child of General Surgery. This is borne out by the fact that the second chair in urology in Punjab was created in 1981. The total number of openings in urology was limited and hence the slow take off. In 1985 the few nephrologists in Pakistan wanted the support of the urologists to form a combined association of Nephro-Urology.
The posts were alternated with urologists and nephrologists, this arrangement worked well but in the later period new pressures developed. The nephrologists formed their own association in 1996. Furthermore most international associations of urology felt uncomfortable with an association of urologists and nephrologists. We felt that this was a natural alliance between the two specialties but when the nephrologists separated it was felt that we shouldhave a separate association. Professor Farakh A Khan moved this in a meeting held in King Edward Medial College, Lahore where urologists from all over the country had gathered in 1997.
Professor Farakh A Khan was elected as the founder president of the PAUS and asked to prepare the constitution and insignia of PAUS for approval by the General Body. The establishment of a new association is a difficult task. The dynamics of a new association takes time to be accepted. Establishment of new Chapters is not an easy task. The members need to feel obvious benefits of an association before they show interest in joining the new organization. As all new associations we had our ups and downs. The first General Body meeting was held in Sheikh Zayed Hospital Lahore.
It has a Southern Zone (Sindh and Baluchistan provinces) and a Northern Zone (Punjab and NWFP provinces). Urologists in each area form Chapters and coordinate with the concerned Zone and the Centre. The central body alternates between the two Zones as office bearers every two years. This arrangement was necessary because the number of urologists in NWFP and Baluchistan are few. Each Chapter holds clinical meetings every month. Our first successful Urology Conference was held in Lahore in March 2000. Since then yearly National and International Urological Conferences have taken place.
RAWALPINDI/ ISLAMABAD CHAPTER
PAUS Rawalpindi/ Islamabad chapter was created in 2002. Prof. Dr. M.A Farooqi was elected the first president of the chapter. Later Prof. Dr. Saeed Akhtar, Prof. Dr. Khursheed Anwar and Prof. Dr. Muhammad Naeem served as president. In 2005 and 2013 Rawalpindi Islamabad Chapter has got the honor to host the UROCON conference in Islamabad.
In 2016, Prof. Dr. Mumtaz Ahmad Head of Urology Department was elected unopposed as president of PAUS Rawalpindi/ Islamabad Chapter. During this period PAUS got conducted Major International conferences which were Uro-Oncology Symposium in February 2016 and Expert in Stone Disease conference on Urolithiasis in Sep-Oct 2016.
- Many other national and international conferences/ workshops were held under care of PAUS Rawalpindi Islamabad chapter by the Department of Urology, Rawalpindi Medical College/Benazir Bhutto Hospital, Rawalpindi were as under:14th International Urocon 2013, Pre-congress live surgical workshop on Laser Prostatectomy & Sting Procedure at Benazir Bhutto Hospital, Rawalpindi, 4th April 2013.
- International workshop on PCNL and Laparoscopic Surgery at Benazir Bhutto Hospital, Rawalpindi, 17 -19 December 2013.
- 1st symposium on Urogynecology at Rawalpindi Medical College, Rawalpindi, 31st May, 2014.
- One day International Workshop on PCNL & URS at Benazir Bhutto Hospital, Rawalpindi. 26 November, 2014.
- International Workshop on Micro-PCNL and URS at Benazir Bhutto Hospital, Rawalpindi 19th February, 2015.
- 2nd symposium on Urogynecology & Live Operative workshop/ Video conference of Rawalpindi Medical College, Rawalpindi, 1st June, 2015.
- International operative Workshop on Mini PCNL Urology at Benazir Bhutto Hospital, Rawalpindi 8 to 10th September, 2015.
- International live operative Workshop on Basic Endo Urology at Benazir Bhutto Hospital, Rawalpindi 11th November, 2015.